Monday, November 04, 2013

A controversial statement...

I am about to open a whole big can of worms and here it is... you CAN drink cappuccino after 10 am in Italy! My native Italian and I do it all the time, though I will clarify there are a few caveats:

1) It is still not cool to drink cappuccino with lunch or any meal aside from breakfast. The thought of drinking all that milk with non-sweet food will freak them out for sure.

2) While it is not frowned upon if you drink it any time of day as a "break" kind of snack, the other sweet spot for having a cappuccino is between 4 and 5 in the afternoon. It is well before aperitif time so it won't hinder your early evening spritz.

3) If it is after 10 am - have it as a stand-alone drink or with a cookie/pastry. see #1

Ok, whew, I feel better.

I realize this is the exact opposite advice from every other expat out there, but this is my Italy. True, every region is different but Times, they are a changing. And I have yet to hear a barista lecture my native Italian speaker when he orders it.

More later...

No comments :